1) RACE HEADQUARTERS – old interpretive center within Elkwater townsite. This will also be the finish line of the triathlon (same as last year). Race Headquarters will be open on Friday August 5th from 6 pm to 10 pm and Saturday August 6th (race day) from 6:30 am on.
2) TRANSITION AREA – located in the main marina parking lot directly adjacent to beach. This will make for a seamless transition from swim to bike and bike to run.
3) SWIM – As always a 500M open water swim in Elkwater Lake off the main beach, Elkwater. It will be a shotgun start at 8:30 am off the main beach. Swim caps will be provided and we strongly suggest that wetsuits are worn, as the waters of Elkwater are indeed “fresh”. Please refer to our FAQ tab for wetsuit rental availability.
4) BIKE – From main dock parking lot west then south up Horsehoe Canyon 4kms to Horeshoe Canyon view point. E along Plateau Trail, Mystery Trail, Upper Mystery Trail, the continuation of Upper Mystery will take you down a recently build single track section that will give you jumps and switchbacks to picnic table and a beautiful view NW across lake towards Medicine Hat. From here, you will go SW along Cobble Miner Trail crossing over Water Tower Trail and the winding your way through the pristine Pine Forrest you will find your way back to and down Water Tower Trail. At the bottom of Water Tower Trail you will jump W onto West End Ranger Trail and wind your way back down into Transition. Please refer to our MAPS & FORMS tab to download the race map (note this is a fairly big photo file and may take a while to download).
5) RUN – From Transition you will head W along paved Lakeshore Trail then up Firerock Road for 1km: take a good breath and water at the top of this and then head off into the bush. E along Firerock Trail up to the new section of Old Baldy (where you can stop and consume the view E over Elkwater Townsite). From here down the new section of Old Baldy to Horseshoe Canyon then along the W side trail of Old Baldy Campground to lower Beaver Creek Trail winding your way back to the finish line for a celebration!
6) POST RACE BBQ and AWARDS CEREMONY – will be immediately after the last contestant arrives (approximately 12:30 pm). Contestants will be provided a BBQ lunch and refreshments and supporters/families etc. will be able to purchase burgers and refreshments at a nominal cost all prepared by the Elkwater Community Association. The awards ceremony will be held in conjunction with the contestant lunch and as a side note we have some awesome prizes sponsored by our excellent corporate support.